Route Rate is a command and control tool for shipping and port operation business processes.
Please note, this is a live software skeleton that is under active development. Through the development cycle, this code will become more connected with the analysis fabric and more functionality will come online. Check back to see progress.
Route Rate is built on top of the Applied Autonomics Analysis Fabric. This fabric provides enterprise data mining capabilities. Data collection, analysis, and reporting capabilities are componitized. This allows rapid build and deployment of business analysis models. These models can be deployed as workflows and autonomously update.
Route Rate delivers three primary business values:
- Provides metrics to instrument business processes, enabling management by metrics. Once a process is instrumented, it can be monitored, managed and improved.
- To identify and resolve business process exceptions more quickly. Exceptions are often the most expensive part of process management. Identification and prediction help manage risk and resolution cost.
- To allow forecasting to support forward planning functions.
The interface is designed to report from overview to detail, top to bottom:
- Analysis Model Selector
- The analysis selector sets the analysis model used for reporting. In this case, we are using the metrics suggest in Koh Ng's academic paper, other academically suggested metrics can be seen in the drop down list.
- Interactive Map
- The interactive map shows the overall status of all ports based on their business process status (currently the node colors are not connected to the status table, yet).
- Status Table
- The status table lists the status of each port individually, along with the status of underlying business processes. When a status is not green, knowledge cards can appear below mapping. These cards can contain specifics of the exception and steps that can be taken for resolution. This data can be collected and published via the unstructured text analysis and other components in the AA analysis fabric.
Here are the top Container Port 4.0 themes this solution aligns with:
- Orchestrated Operations
- Route Rate is built to manage large amounts of data, producing analytics using the latest in A.I., Machine Learning, as well as more traditional data mining tools. These analytics provide statistics to enable port operation processes to be managed by metrics. These models can also be used for forward business planning.
- Machine Augmented Workforce
- Route Rate heritage is in business workflow automation, from running and managing clients to employees, with the simple idea of a few doing more. The analysis fabric that underlies Route Rate currently manages employee payments, tax reporting, client accounts receivable and payable processing and other enterprise resource planning.
- Connected Community
- The analysis fabric that drives Route Rate started as a secure communication tool between doctors and patients. Connecting staff to users and closing communication loops--engagement management is still alive and well in the heart of the system.
- Pre-emptive Health, Safety, Security
- The analysis fabric is data agnostic. Although not a direct goal of this project, it would be remiss not to mention applications in safety, health and security. The fabric has been used to value companies, detect fraud, and to instrument personal engagement and communication. All of this is exposed through the API, so it is likely that additional projects could address those applications.
Solution Selection Criteria
With all of the synergy between the analisis fabric and PSA unboXed here are the critical factors on why we are centered on Port Operations (Orchestrated Operations):
- Mathematics: shipping networks (to the container level) are classic examples of closed world networks. The industry as a whole is behaving as an emerging scale free network. Applied Autonomics has been focused on (and building tools for) closed and scale free networks for over a decade. There is no literature on modeling shipping as an emerging scale free network -- this represents an opportunity.
- Technology Capability: The analysis framework is most powerful environments of diverse structured and unstructured data. Port operation data fits this description.
- Technology Capacity: The analysis fabric uses non-preemptive scheduling, and the components have defined standardized interfaces. This provides scaling and automation options of large amounts of data.
- Potential Impact for PSA International: Business Process improvement falls through directly to profit (reduces C in P=R-C). Each dollar Route Rate saves is equal in $2 1/4 in new revenue, using 2016 PSA International numbers. This application appears to have the most direct profit impact.
- The strengths in Applied Autonomics' methodology, project management, and technology depth will reduce the execution risk and maintaining focus and alignment -- enabling a large project with many processes.